Tuesday , June 19, 2018

45 houses, 6 classrooms burned in Davao fire

AROUND 45 houses were razed after a huge fire broke out at Rosemary, Japan Street, Barangay Tomas Monterverde Sr., Agdao District in Davao City Sunday morning.

According to Davao City’s Central Fire District of the Bureau of Fire Protection (BFP), the fire started around 11:45 a.m. and pointed out that arson or a deliberate setting up of fire to a property was the alleged cause of the fire based on their initial investigation.

"Alleged arson ang hinungdan sa kalayo, ug padayon ang atong imbestigasyon aron atong ma-establish ang total damaged sa hitabo (The incident was allegedly arson and we are still investigating to establish the total damages)," Acting spokesperson Senior Fire Officer 2 Ramil Gillado of the Davao City Fire District told SunStar SuperBalita on Sunday in a phone interview.

Residents of the place, however, said the fire was ignited by a man who was quarreling with his common-law wife.

Residents said the couple had just recently moved in the place and had rented a room.

Before the fire broke out, few residents heard that the man, who allegedly ignited the fire, shouted that he had already poured gasoline over the clothes owned by his wife and eventually, the fire was set ablaze starting from their rented room.

As the houses were are mostly made of wood, the fire easily spread through the area and burned six classrooms of the Agdao Elementary School.

According to the Sta. Ana police, after the fire was put out, officials of the barangay and the police looked for the live-in partners who was pointed to have caused the fire so that they can be interrogated on the incident but as of press time, the two are still not found.

The City Social Services and Development Office (CSSDO) had conducted Sunday a validation among the residents who were affected by fire who are now staying at the Barangay Monteverde covered court for the mean time.

The CSSDO and the barangay had immediately extended basic help such as food including stuff used for sleeping and cooking to the affected residents.

The Local Government Unit is also going to extend financial assistance to the victims through the CSSDO.

Authorities said that there are no casualties in the incident.