BACOLOD City General Services Office (GSO) head Jerome Solinap issued a stern warning to the caretaker of Burgos Public Cemetery Ricardo Repogio after he committed lapses on his job.
Solinap said Monday, April 23, that he issued the memorandum to Repogio, a regular employee, on April 11 after he found out that several new niches for burial purposes were constructed at the cemetery.
“I have already a verbal instruction to Repogio not to allow the construction of new niches, but it was not followed,” he said.
He added they are trying to control the construction of new niches because the cemetery is already overcrowded.
Solinap noted that if there is a new burial, it will be referred to the public cemeteries of Barangays Handumanan and Granada.
“Despite my repeated instructions to Repogio, there is still construction of new niches so I assigned Erry Lagtapon as overall in-charge of the public cemetery,” Solinap said.
Based on Lagtapon’s report on April 13, it showed that the Burgos Public Cemetery is already overcrowded and there should be no construction of new niches, he said.
Solinap recalled that in November last year, he received several complaints that the niches of their loved ones were found missing and he also warned Repogio about it after his name was dragged on the complaint.
“The purpose of the caretaker is to monitor the ins and outs of the cemetery, but Repogio failed to do it,” Solinap said.
He said he was informed that several burial and exhumation activities were also monitored at the cemetery that failed to secure permits from the Bacolod Government Center.
“If Repogio fails to take this seriously, I will recommend for his relief and it is up to the City Government to relieve him and to assign a new caretaker,” he added.