SENATOR Antonio Trillanes IV on Monday challenged President Rodrigo Duterte to sign a waiver that will allow the Filipinos to see his bank accounts allegedly containing billion of pesos.
In a press conference, Trillanes signed several waivers, allowing the Office of the Ombudsman and the Anti-Money Laundering Council (AMLC) to scrutinize the alleged accounts that were mentioned by the President, saying he is more than willing to allow everyone to scrutinize the bank accounts.
Trillanes' waiver included an alleged savings account in his name in Singapore with Hong Kong and Shanghai Bank Company, DBS bank; alleged foreign and savings account in Switzerland with UBS Bank, Deutsche Bank; alleged account in Zurich with UBS Bank, Commerce Bank, Deutsche Bank, Habib, A.G.in Canada with Nova Scotia Bank, Equitable Bank; and in New Zealand with Hong Kong and Shanghai Banks and ANZ bank.
Trillanes dared Duterte to do the same as he showed to the media copies of at least 12 waivers for each of the accounts that Duterte claimed he owns.
"Wala po tayong tinatago. Ang nakakatawa dito, yung ibang bangko na binangit ay hindi existing. How can I have an account? But just the same for the sake of truth and justice, I will allow them to open these bank accounts. Mapapahiya si President Duterte dito at makikita ang kasinungalingan niya," Trillanes said.
(We are not hiding anything. The funny here, the other banks mentioned does not exist. How can I have an account? But just the same for the sake of truth and justice, I will allow them to open these bank accounts. The President will be shamed and his lies will show.)
The waivers allowed AMLC and the Ombudsman to get all details of his alleged bank accounts and can verify all the details that they need.
"In case they will be saying that I already closed the account, this waiver will allow AMLC and the Ombudsman to get past and present transactions and can verify everything because my waiver is giving them all the access to the international banking system for them to be able to get all information that they can use against me," Trillanes told reporters.
Trillanes said he will invite members of the media to accompany him in the banks mentioned by Duterte so they can hear if indeed he is maintaining such accounts as claimed by the Chief Executive.
"I will only stand by my truth and I will not destroy him with fabricated stories. Only the truth," Trillanes said.
During last year's the presidential campaign, Trillanes challenged Duterte to sign a waiver on the secrecy of bank deposits, claiming that the former mayor of Davao City is hiding a huge amount of money in various bank accounts at the Bank of the Philippine Island.
Trillanes also accused Duterte's son, Davao City Vice Mayor Paolo Duterte, and presidential son-in-law, Manases Carpio, of being part of the so-called Davao Group operating at the Bureau of Customs.
During the previous hearing of the Senate blue ribbon committee, Trillanes accused the younger Duterte of being a bearing a member of a criminal syndicate engaged in illegal activities. He said Paolo Duterte's affiliation with the triad is printed on his tattoo.
Meanwhile, Trillanes welcomed the filing of a complaint against him by Senator Richard Gordon before the Senate ethics committee, saying he will tackle the complaint wholeheartedly.
Earlier, Senate Majority Leader Vicente Sotto III said the ethics complaint against Trillanes is sufficient in form and substance except for the inclusion of his previous involvement in a coup d’état.
Sotto, who chairs the Senate ethics committee, said they will only give Trillanes 10 working days to submit a counter-affidavit to be followed by Gordon's reply within five days.
"I am willing to face the panel. Hindi ako nanuntok, nanakit, nagmura. Ginawa ko ang isang request na dapat dumalo ang isang personalidad gaya ni Paolo Duterte at Atty. Mans dahil binanggit sila sa hearing at yung ay naaayon sa batas,” Trillanes maintained.
(I am willing to face the panel. I did not punch, hurt, or curse. I made a request to invite a personality like Paolo Duterte and Attorney Mans because they were mentioned at the hearing and that was in accordance with the law.) (SunStar Philippines)