SECTIONS
Friday , May 25, 2018
BACOLOD

Decrease in tourist arrivals noted after China's travel advisory

MANILA – The Department of Tourism said Monday the Philippines has lost around 1,500 to 2,000 passengers for the month of May due to the travel advisory issued by China.

China warned last week its residents against traveling to the Philippines due to the planned protests of Filipino groups at various Chinese embassies worldwide in relation to China’s incursion into the disputed territory in the West Philippine Sea.

The Philippine government has made it clear that it has no hands in the planned protests.

Undersecretary for Tourism Regulation and Coordination Maria Victoria Jasmin said over radio dzMM that 10 group trips were cancelled as of May 11 due to the advisory.

She cited reports from Boracay, Bohol, Cebu and Manila resorts, noting the decrease in their bookings.

However, she said the tourism department is confident it will meet its target of 4.6 million tourist arrivals for 2012. (Sunnex)


VIEW COMMENTS