SAYING the Cebu City Government needs someone who is decisive, Mayor Tomas Osmeña appointed Raquel Arce to head the Prevention Restoration Order Beautification and Enhancement (Probe) team again.
Arce’s appointment was effective starting last Wednesday.
In his news conference, Osmeña said he needed someone who can decide immediately and has the will to enforce the law to lead Probe.
Osmeña said Arce will focus on addressing sidewalk vendors and other obstructions.
“Some of these vendors are very hard headed and I have to enforce the law. Our head of Probe was good but you need someone who is decisive,” he told reporters.
Whenever he receives a text complaining about sidewalk vendors encroaching the sidewalks and the streets and other obstructions, Osmeña said he will forward it to Arce, who will also forward it to the Division for the Welfare of the Urban Poor (DWUP).
Within five days, DWUP will inform the illegal settlers of their violation.
If there is no compromise after five days, Osmeña said Arce, as chief of Probe, will have to proceed with the demolition.
When sought for comment, Arce said she is flattered to have been chosen to lead the Probe team again because she is just doing her job.
“I want to exceed my performance when I was first appointed to the position. I want to compete with my self. I want to build a legacy that even if I’m a woman, I was able to clean and put order in the city, particularly in the markets,” she said.
Arce used to lead Probe and served as the market administrator during the time of former mayor Michael Rama but was replaced by Osmeña last year. (RVC)