WHENEVER I visit Sentosa Island in Singapore, I get to enjoy it like a kid. The good thing though is that they have fun attractions for kids and there are also places that adults can similarly enjoy.
Sentosa, a Malay word that means “peace and tranquillity,” is an apt name for this place because this recreational spot was built for visitors to leave their worries behind and just enjoy what Sentosa has to offer.
Families having a vacation in Singapore must not skip a visit in Sentosa. In fact, at least one whole day has to be devoted to be able to revel in the various attractions within the island. So, what can you see and do in Sentosa?
Here are some suggestions for you to start with, and then find your perfect spot under the sun in this part of Singapore.
1. Climb the Sentosa Merlion. This 37-meter symbol of Singapore – with the head of a lion and a body of a fish – is a not-to-be-missed image in Sentosa. What better way to enjoy the island than getting on top of this structure.
2. Ride the cable car to Mount Faber. Cross the seas by zipping on air, aboard the Singapore Cable Car Sky Network. Fly from Sentosa through a skyscraper to Mount Faber, where you will find the famed Bell of Happiness.
3. Journey to Singapore’s past at the Images of Singapore LIVE. It’s a fun way to see the different images of Singapore since times past through interactive displays and informative presentations.
4. Have some fun in the water or the sand at Siloso Beach. Rollerblade, cycle, skim-board or kayak. Build a sand castle or just bask under the sun. When you’re by the beach, there’s plenty of fun.
5. View things from the top at Fort Siloso Skywalk. Have a hike at the treetops and see the scenery from above. What’s more, a walk on this 11-storey and 181-meter long trail is free of charge.
6. Hang out with your favorite characters at Universal Studios Singapore. There’s Shrek, the Sesame Street gang, the Jurassic Park dinosaurs, and Bumblebee, just to name a few. Get a taste of Hollywood at Universal Studios.
7. Get up close with dolphins at Resorts World Sentosa’s Dolphin Island. Interact with bottlenose dolphins and let them shower you with kisses. Know the steps taken and how you can contribute in conserving this animal species.
8. Defy gravity at AJ Hackett Sentosa. Let the adrenaline flow through your veins and feel the rush of energy by bungee jumping 47 meters above ground, drop and swoop on the Giant Swing, or do the 42-meter Vertical Skywalk.
9. Do the Sentosa Nature Heritage Walk. Get into the bosom of nature and history as you take the walking, jogging or cycling trails in this nature heritage walk.
10. Wine and dine at sea aboard the Royal Albatross. Take the seas in style aboard this luxury Tall Ship and let the wind blow you towards a cinematic sunset cruise.
There’s a lot to explore in Sentosa and a day would not even be enough to do all these and more. No need to rush everything though. Just take your own sweet time and allow Sentosa to give you an adventure in the state of fun.
All photos are by this author. Claire Marie Algarme blogs at http://firsttimetravels.com. Follow her as @firsttimetravel on Twitter and Instagram and like her Facebook page First-time Travels blog.