THE Department of Labor and Employment (Dole) will implement P20-million emergency employment program for workers displaced by Tropical Storm Urduja in Biliran province.
Dole Regional Director Joel Gonzales said on January 24 that they expected to start the post-disaster program next week covering eight towns and majority of Biliran’s 117 villages.
“We submitted the urgent proposal few days after the storm. Last week, we got the advice of allotment and we hope to receive the budget soon so we can start the program next week,” Gonzales said.
At least 4,000 displaced workers will be hired for 10 days. Each one will get P285 daily pay for helping clear debris, repair houses, reconstruct basic infrastructures and facilities in the affected areas, and recover their livelihood and other basic needs through the income derived from the said program.
“We hope that the said emergency employment will be an immediate source of income for the victims, in order for them to buy food, medicines and other necessities,” he added.
The Dole has tied up with local government units to select beneficiaries and identify sites for emergency works.
The Provincial Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council reported that landslides and flooding brought by the tropical storm killed 54 people. The weather disturbance has displaced 22,535 families or 90,000 persons in Biliran province alone.
Biliran is one of the country's smallest provinces with a land area of 536 square kilometers and a population of 171,612 as of 2015. Formerly a sub-province of Leyte, it became an independent province in 1992. (PNA)