SECTIONS
Friday , June 22, 2018

‘No cases of measles in Negros Occidental’

THE Negros Occidental Provincial Health Office (PHO) said Wednesday, March 7, there is no outbreak, not even cases, of measles reported in the province this year.

Dr. Ernell Tumimbang, PHO head, urged everyone especially the mothers to be vigilant in monitoring the health of their children amid the measles outbreak reported in Negros Oriental.

He noted there was a low immunization coverage in the province.

The vaccination program of the province was low in 2017 compared to 2016 and that they have been conducting evaluation as to why the Barangay Health Workers were not able to reach the target last year, he said.

The local government of Negros Oriental has declared a measles outbreak.

Department of Health Undersecretary Enrique Domingo explained the outbreak was declared after the local government received various reports of measles cases in Bacong, Dumaguete City, Mabinay, San Jose, Santa Catalina, Siaton and Valencia.

Measles is a highly contagious respiratory infection caused by a virus. (TDE)


VIEW COMMENTS