THE Cebu City Government’s sanitary landfill will be reopened on Monday, a move that will help save the City millions from throwing its trash in Consolacion.
Department of Public Services (DPS) officer-in-charge John Paul Gelasque said they are already doing the groundworks at the Inayawan sanitary landfill for its re-opening.
Gelasque said DPS is now preparing the service road where the dump trucks will pass.
Gelasque already asked the help of the General Services Office and the Department Engineering and Public Works so he can borrow their bulldozers, backhoe and other equipment that will be used in opening a service road.
Last month, Cebu City Mayor-elect Tomas Osmeña said that he wants the Inayawan landfill reopened because the City’s contract with the private sanitary landfill in Consolacion town is questionable. It has no contract, he said.
The City, he said, is also paying too much in tipping fees.
Gelasque said the City is paying around P10 to P14 million per month for throwing some 300 to 450 tons of garbage to the private sanitary landfill owned by Asian Energy Systems Corp. in Consolacion.
This does not include yet the maintenance of the garbage trucks, which had to travel for some 12 kilometers daily to Consolacion.
Asian Energy collects P700 per ton of garbage dumped in their facility.
In an interview yesterday, Gelasque said the 15.4-hectare Inayawan landfill can still accommodate more trash there for at least one to two years.
He said he doesn’t know what was the basis of the Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR) 7 for saying that the facility had reached its maximum capacity.
On how they will make sure that the landfill will emit less smell considering that there are already investors at the South Road Properties, Gelasque said there are technologies for it.
It was in 2011 when outgoing Mayor Michael Rama ordered the partial closure of the landfill. It also served as a transfer station where bigger trucks picked up the garbage collected by barangay-owned trucks, as the bigger ones are better-suited for the trip to Consolacion.
In January 2015, Rama totally closed the landfill.
The Inayawan sanitary landfill, which was established in 1998, had been operating for 17 years prior to its closure.
Acting Mayor Margarita Osmeña said yesterday that outgoing Councilor Nida Carbrera, who is an environmental advocate, has been tasked to get clearances or permits with the DENR for the reopening of the landfill.
Sun.Star Cebu phoned Cabrera yesterday but she cannot be reached.