DOT: Tourism outlook strong-A A +A
Saturday, February 4, 2012
THE Department of Tourism said Friday the country remains an ideal destination with foreign individuals and groups continuing to arrive.
“So far, no cancellations have been made. The series of travel advisories on specific and isolated areas did not deter tourists from visiting the country,” DOT stressed.
The DOT said in reaction to speculations of decreased visits due to the recent United Kingdom (UK) travel advisory on limited areas in the south, following the kidnapping of two European tourists in Tawi-Tawi last February 1.
“The issuance of travel advisories is part of the regular functions of embassies in line with ensuring the safety and security of their citizens in a foreign country. For the Philippines, advice against travel to some parts of Mindanao has been constant and common,” it said, adding: “the Tawi-Tawi incident is considered unfortunate and could have been avoided had the visitors taken necessary precautions many European tourists usually take in heed of these advisories.”
The agency said studies on regional distribution of travelers for both 2010 and January-June 2011 showed “high traffic to destinations in the Nation Capital Region, Bicol Region, Western and Central Visayas regions as well as the Cordillera Administrative Region.”
“DOT is hopeful for a speedy resolution and release of the Dutch and Swedish nationals with the aggressive efforts mounted by national and local authorities.”
It also said the government and the tourism industry “vow to strengthen their resolve to ensure the pleasant, safe and secure stay of visitors, with the bullish expectation of receiving 4.2 million visitors this year.” (CGC)
Published in the Sun.Star Bacolod newspaper on February 04, 2012.