Army braces for NPA anniversary offensives-A A +A
Wednesday, March 16, 2011
THE Philippine Army in Negros Occidental is bracing for the tactical offensives that could be launched by the New People’s Army (NPA) in line with its anniversary on March 29.
Col. Jonas Sumagaysay, commanding officer of the 303rd Brigade based in Camp Nelson Gerona, Minuyan, Murcia, said they are anticipating such rebel atrocities like they used to do during their previous anniversaries.
The government troops are always prepared and are usually alert for any offensive operations by the NPA rebels, he said. “Our troops are always prepared.”
It has been the practice of the NPA in recent years to launch tactical offensives to mark their anniversary, such as launching ambushes against government troopers or attacks on government and private properties like cell sites, equipments of milling central and the airport.
It could also be an attack on an isolated police or army detachment, Sumagaysay said.
That is why government troops are always advised to be on alert and not to lower their guards and falling prey to disguises employed by the NPA rebels, he said.
He added the government forces continue to conduct offensive operations against the NPA rebels and, at the same time, the army increased their defensive patrols in their command posts.
A militia detachment in Bug-ang, Toboso in northern Negros was attacked and burned by the NPA rebels by disguising themselves as police operatives last year. The NPA rebels killed the detachment commander, an army sergeant, in front his daughter.
Published in the Sun.Star Bacolod newspaper on March 16, 2011.