Wife of kidnapped fisherman seeks police help-A A +A
Monday, April 25, 2011
THE wife of one of the three fishing boat crewmember who were kidnapped by a group of bandits off Jolo town have sought police help for the safe release of her husband.
Senior Supt. Allan Guisihan, Negros Occidental Provincial Police Office (Noppo) director, said they have already coordinated with the local crisis management committee for updates in the kidnapping three fishing crew of the Zamboanga-based Mega Fishing vessel.
On March 19, three fishing boat crew who are natives of Hinoba-an town in Negros Occidental were seized off shore in Jolo, the capital of Sulu province.
The three fishermen were identified as Renato Panesales, boat captain; Winnie Ferrer, chief engineer; and, Jonard Ocsemon, crew member.
Oscemon’s wife Marivic, who sought Noppo’s assistance, said she is worried about the safety of her husband and his co-employees.
Marivic said the kidnappers first asked for a P20-million ransom but it was later lowered to P10 million and lately reduced to P4 million.
She said she has constant communication through text and call with the kidnappers. Last week, Marivic said her husband told her over the phone that they were being treated well by their captors.
She said she pleaded to the kidnappers that they cannot afford to raise the ransom money. One of the kidnappers allegedly told her to closely coordinate with the management of Mega Fishing and to demand money from the company to save their employees.
Marivic added the kidnappers also told her they are not after the three fishermen but the Mega Fishing management.
Published in the Sun.Star Bacolod newspaper on April 25, 2011.