Mayor on New Year Countdown: Beyond our expectation-A A +A
Thursday, January 3, 2013
BACOLOD City Mayor Evelio Leonardia said the holding of the "31 to 1" New Year Countdown last December 31, 2012, New Year’s Eve, exceeded the expectations of the organizers.
"I think the crowd this time is about 30 times bigger than it was last year. I think it is because the people are already aware. Last year, since it was the first time the countdown was held, the crowd was smaller perhaps because, for centuries, people have been celebrating the New Year in their houses," Leonardia said.
Leonardia added that the Department of Health’s (DOH) policy “Iwas Paputok” was well promoted with the promotion of ABS-CBN, the support of Panasiatic and the Association of Barangay Captains (ABC).
The mayor said the show was more sophisticated, colorful, especially with the fantasy costume, and the participation of the MassKara dancers.
Leonardia said the fireworks display was more spectacular than it was last year.
“So I believe our goal to make this a tourist attraction and making Bacolod the New Year’s Eve capital of the Philippine is not a farfetched possibility because, if this continues every year, I am sure more people will participate in this activity,” he said.
Vice Mayor Jude Thaddeus Sayson estimated the crowd to be between 3,000 and 5,000.
Eli Tajanlangit, event coordinator, said Bacoleños are starting to accept the concept of welcoming the New Year as one big family.
“This year’s crown topped last year’s crowd, which tells us that people are now willing to come together with other families and people from other parts of the city to come as one and welcome the New Year. Councilor Carlos Jose Lopez said ‘We can see a much bigger crowd compared last year. I hope that ultimately, this will be another time for us to gather and celebrate the New Year together,” Tajanlangit said.
Published in the Sun.Star Bacolod newspaper on January 03, 2013.