Probe bureau releases suspect in judge slay-A A +A
Sunday, January 6, 2013
EDDIE Fortunado, one of thesuspects in the murder of Kabankalan City Regional Trial Court (RTC) Judge Henry Arles, was released by the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) from its custody Friday last week.
The release of Fortunado was made by the NBI in compliance with the order of RTC Judge Fernando Elumba, after Fortunado's mother filed a writ of amparo before the court.
A text message from the Fortunado family said he is due to hold a press conference once he arrives in Bacolod City from Manila.
Fortunado, who was a member of the Revolutionary Proletarian Army–Alex Bongcayao Brigade (RPA-ABB), was implicated in the murder of Arles, first confessing through a signed affidavit his participation but later recanted and claimed that he, together with two other companions, were tortured to admit commission of the crime.
Also included in the murder complaint before the Department of Justice are Jessie Daguia and Vincent Capunong, who were also said to be members of RPA–ABB, as well as Gerald Tabajura and Emmanuel Medez.
Fortunado, Daguia and Capunong said they were set up to make it appear that they voluntarily surrendered to the NBI.
The DOJ is yet to come up with its findings about the Arles slay case that also involved the names of Ilog Mayor John Paul Alvarez, Vice Governor Genaro Alvarez and Cauayan Vice Mayor Jerry Tabujara who all maintained their innocence on the case.
They branded the charges against them as politically motivated.
Published in the Sun.Star Bacolod newspaper on January 07, 2013.