Guv: Ambush beyond human reason-A A +A
Tuesday, January 29, 2013
GOVERNOR Alfredo Marañon Jr. ordered the police to conduct a deeper investigation on the ambush incident in Barangay Puso, La Castellana that resulted in the death of nine persons, including a policeman.
Marañon also condemned the said incident as beyond human reasoning.
"It appeared that it is not a kind of an atrocity carried out by the New People's Army (NPA), so I want the police to dig deeper into it. It's very brutal and it includes innocent civilians. It is beyond human reasoning," Marañon said.
Suspected NPA members could be responsible for the ambush because some witnesses said that the suspects, numbering to about 30, shouted, “Long live the NPA” after the attack.
"It's very sad for the province. We have been trying to sell the tourism industry of the province. In fact, we have already enticed tourists and proof to that are their presence during the recent Dinagsa Festival in Cadiz City and in Sinulog in Kabankalan City. But we are sad that we made it to the headlines on the national dailies (for the wrong reason)," Marañon said.
Killed during the ambush, said La Castellana PNP chief Senior Inspector Gary Alan Resuma, was PO1 Richard Canja, a resident of Barangay Cabacungan, La Castellana, who sustained a gunshot wound in his head; Barangay Peacekeeping Action Team (BPAT) members Ulysses Tamayor, Jonathan Mateo and Ramir Complesa; civilians Virginia Ordonez and Lito Lucban, all of Barangay Cabacungan; civilian driver Ricky Dingcong; and barangay tanods Mario Ricablanca and Tiotimo Esplegera of Barangay Puso.
Nine others were wounded during the attack, including Police Officer 3 Constantino Villegas and Police Officer 2 Jeffrey Alvarez, who were both assigned at the Cabacungan police detachment alongside Canja, according to Resuma.
Investigation showed that around 3:45 a.m., the victims were on their way home after securing the peace and order during the fiesta celebration in Barangay Puso.
On board the truck were 22 passengers, including the three police officers and BPAT members.
When the group reached a barangay road, they were ambushed by approximately 30 gunmen hiding in a sugarcane field.
Marañon said the Capitol will extend P3,000 financial assistance to the wounded BPAT members, and P5,000 to the families of those who died in the ambush.
He will also look for means to help the civilians who were wounded, especially those who are confined in government hospitals.
Marañon said that Senior Superintendent Celestino Guara, Provincial Police director, failed Monday to report to him regarding the incident.
"The previous provincial directors would immediately report to me, either through text or phone call, about similar incidents as big as this one," Marañon said.
Meanwhile, Marañon also confirmed that the two Capitol-owned vehicles previously provided to Noppo were transferred to the Escalante police.
Published in the Sun.Star Bacolod newspaper on January 29, 2013.