Lopez to fight over sanitary landfill use-A A +A
Wednesday, October 16, 2013
THE Lopez family represented by Roy Lopez told Aksyon Radyo recently that they will take the appropriate legal charges against the City Government of Bacolod should they insist in removing the padlock they put at the sanitary landfill in Barangay Felisa.
Lopez said that if they decide to use police power in the removal of the padlock, let them do whatever they want to do but they also readied the necessary legal action.
"We believe that we have the legal right to close the area as the City Government has not yet fully paid the property it bought years ago. They still owe us about P3.8 million. As the title is still with us, they have the copy but we still in possession of the title," he said.
They believe that it was the right price as assessed by the City Assessor’s office. Before the Commission on Audit came out with a recommendation that the purchase was overpriced, everything was also done and agreed. It has passed a thorough process and they believe that their demand for payment is valid.
The case with the Ombudsman was even dismissed because it also believed that the transaction between the city and Dynasty Agri-Aqua Agricultural Corp. was a good sale.
They cannot use the “overpriced” argument of because it was already dismissed by the Ombudsman.
"That is not an issue anymore," he said.
"We don't them to dump garbage at the sanitary landfill because they are supposed to dump residual waste at the landfill. They just said that they will try to segregate. But we don't believe that we have a Material Recovery Facility there. What they dumped there is not properly segregated," he said.
Earlier, the Bacolod City Waste Management Board ordered the immediate removal of the padlock at the sanitary landfill of the city at Barangay Felisa.
They arrived at this decision after they convened last Friday.
They unanimously agreed for the immediate removal of the padlock. Villamor said the waste board management is composed of City Government officials and representatives from the private sector. He said the group wants the removal of the padlock or whatever obstruction the Lopez family had set up in the main gate of the sanitary landfill as this is illegal as the property is no longer theirs but is owned by the City Government.
Villamor said the Lopez family has no right over the property. The city administrator said the city needs the property as they are now complying with the provisions of Republic Act 9003 or the Solid Waste Management Act.
He explained that they are giving an ultimatum to the Lopez family to have the padlock remove and continued defiance would led the city to use its police powers. It is no longer possible that they continue to defy the orders of Mayor Monico Puentevella as they have no more right over the property or whatsoever, Villamor said.
He stressed the city does not mind if the Lopez family would file charges against city officials because of decision to use the landfill which had been unused for several years. Villamor said he is personnel being “picked” by the Lopezes on the controversy because it was he who directed the owner of Dynasty Agri-Aqua Corporation to remove the padlock after receiving information that it was padlocked.
Published in the Sun.Star Bacolod newspaper on October 16, 2013.