City Council still goes after Pagcor

-A A +A

Saturday, January 18, 2014


THE City Council of Bacolod is still going after the Philippine Amusement and Gaming Corporation (Pagcor) even after it was able to open its casino gaming operations at a new location without a Resolution of No Objection (Rono).

On Wednesday, the Council passed a resolution reiterating the need for Pagcor to secure a Rono for their operations inside the L’ Fisher Hotel on 15th-Lacson Streets.

Councilor Caesar Distrito, chairman of the committee on laws, ordinances and good government, said the approval of the resolution was moved by Councilors Alex Paglumotan and Archie Baribar.

Advertisement

He said the resolution is an offshoot of the committee report he submitted to the members of the City Council, documenting the pronouncement of Pagcor representatives that they don’t need to secure another Rono.

Before Pagcor inaugurated its hub at the L’ Fisher last week, its casino gaming operations was located at the Goldenfield Commercial Complex on Araneta Street.

Distrito said the council has already expressed its sentiments on the continued operations of Pagcor on 15th Street, and it is up now to the local chief executive, referring to Mayor Monico Puentevella, to act on the violations committed by the government corporation.

Based on the committee report, officials of Casino Filipino Bacolod, particularly its general manager Andres Lizares, justified that there is no longer need for them to seek a Rono as they have not transferred but rather expanded and consolidated their operations.
Lizares insisted that the Rono is needed only for new gaming operations that were created after the enactment of Republic Act 9487 which required them to obtain consent from the local government unit that has territorial jurisdiction over the site for Pagcor operations.

During the committee hearing, Lizares was with their legal counsel Lenon Jay Curgos and marketing officer Raymund Gatuslao.

Pagcor has been operating for more than 27 years in the city and is giving the City Government P1.2-million assistance every month.

Published in the Sun.Star Bacolod newspaper on January 18, 2014.

Local news

DISCLAIMER: Sun.Star website welcomes friendly debate, but comments posted on this site do not necessary reflect the views of the Sun.Star management and its affiliates. Sun.Star reserves the right to delete, reproduce or modify comments posted here without notice. Posts that are inappropriate will automatically be deleted.

Forum rules: Do not use obscenity. Some words have been banned. Stick to the topic. Do not veer away from the discussion. Be coherent and respectful. Do not shout or use CAPITAL LETTERS!

Today's front page

sunstar-bacolod-2014-10-24

Other front pages

Sun.Star Jobs
  • SunStar Celebrity
  • goodearth
  • Calamity Report
  • Sun.Star Zup!
  • Obituary
  • Habemus Papam
  • Sunstar Multimedia
  • Technology
  • Festivals
  • Filipino Abroad
  • Pacman blog
  • tell it to sunstar
  • Sinulog
  • ePaper
  • Philippine Polls
  • Pnoy