Mayor unfazed Ombud’s denial-A A +A
Monday, January 27, 2014
BACOLOD City Mayor Monico Puentevella has not shown discouragement even after the Office of the Ombudsman denied his motion for reconsideration on his indictment in the complaint relative to the alleged questionable purchase of information technology (IT) packages when he was still congressman.
“It will still take a long time to get its final decision. But those who are pushing for it, what I can say to them is, see you in 2016,” the mayor said.
He added that he is leaving everything to his lawyers because there is a legal process to follow.
“Let us continue with our jobs. Let us push with our programs and let the process take its natural course,” he said.
City Administrator Rolando Villamor, one of the mayor’s lawyers, had earlier said Puentevella is ready to face the charge before the Sandiganbayan.
“His conscience is clear and he can prove his innocence. He even wants the legal process to take its course before the Sandiganbayan so that he can clear his name before the public,” Villamor said.
Puentevella, who set aside his P25-million Priority Development Assistance Fund for the project, has maintained his innocence as he did not participate in the bidding and purchase of the IT packages.
The two other respondents are Victorino Tirol Jr., former regional director of the Department of Education in Western Visayas, and Jessie Garcia, chairman of the board of Merryland Publishing Corp., supplier of the IT packages in question.
Puentevella, Tirol, and Garcia had separately filed a motion for reconsideration seeking the reversal of the Ombudsman’s decision finding probable cause against them for violation of Republic Act No. 3019 or the Anti-Graft and Corrupt Practices Act.
Published in the Sun.Star Bacolod newspaper on January 27, 2014.