Mass set for Pope’s anniversary visit in Bacolod-A A +A
Thursday, February 20, 2014
THE Diocese of Bacolod will hold a concelebrated mass at the Bays Center on Thursday at 5 p.m. to mark the 33rd anniversary of the visit of Pope John Paul II to Bacolod City.
Msgr. Felix Pasquin, rector of the Bacolod San Sebastin Cathedral, said the mass will be offered also to the fire victims in Barangays 10, Taculing, and Handumanan.
The Pope visited the city on February 20, 1981, the time when the city and Negros Occidental were experiencing crisis on the sinking of Don Juan and sugar dilemma.
“This is the way we celebrate the 33rd anniversary of Pope John Paul II’s visit to Bacolod City being in solidarity with the fire victims, who are also parishioners of the Church,” he said.
Pasquin said the visit of Pope John Paul II lifted the spirits of the people, adding that his visit brought hope in the same way their Mass celebration will lift the spirit of the people.
Meanwhile, Barangay 10 village chief Dexter Yap said he will meet with the owners of the lot occupied by the families whose houses were destroyed.
He said they will appeal to them to allow the affected residents to put up temporary shelters in their property and help them recover from the disaster.
Yap said they do not know how long the fire victims will stay in the evacuation area at the Bays Center because they have nowhere else to go.
Acting City Social Services and Development head Pacita Tero had earlier said their records show that 87 families were affected, including 10 sharers and 16 renters.
Fifty-eight houses were destroyed while three were damaged.
Residents with destroyed houses will receive a financial assistance of P5,000 per family while those with damaged houses, P3,000. The nine affected boarders will be given P1,000 each. (CNC)
Published in the Sun.Star Bacolod newspaper on February 20, 2014.