Lopez family questions lack of MRF

-A A +A

Friday, March 14, 2014


BACOLOD City Administrator Rolando Villamor said Thursday that the dump trucks of Enviroking Corp., the new garbage hauler of the city, will no longer pass through the property of Dynasty Agri-Aqua Corporation going to the sanitary landfill in Barangay Felisa.

He, instead, said they will pass through an alternative access road of the city.

“This is poetic justice,” said Villamor as he described the recent turn of events involving the utilization of the sanitary landfill, the rerouting of the dump trucks, and the increase in the tipping fee charged by the Lopez family.

The rerouting of the garbage trucks is effective today (March 14), he said.

Personnel from the City Engineer’s Office have started paving the road leading to the sanitary landfill site which the city has started to utilize last Wednesday after a fire razed the open dumpsite that prevented the unloading of collected garbage Wednesday afternoon.

Villamor explained that because the garbage trucks of Enviroking Corp. no longer pass the main entrance of the property of the Lopezes, they will no longer pay the family the required tipping fee for each truck
He said that information relayed to him revealed the Lopez family increased the tipping fee from P400 per big truck to P600 and from P200 for mini-dump trucks to P300.

It’s a little too much, he said.

Villamor said the new road leading to the sanitary landfill is owned by the City Government and it was part of the property purchased by the previous administration in developing the area for sanitary landfill use.

If there is one positive outcome of the fire incident in the open dumpsite, it is the fast tracking of the usage of the sanitary landfill and the huge savings the city can get from the charging of the tipping fee.

Villamor added that the collected garbage will not be directly dump to the sanitary landfill but will be placed on an open area inside the property after which it will undergo a secondary waste segregation.

As agreed during a meeting Wednesday afternoon, garbage pickers affected by the fire in the open dumpsite will be utilized in segregating biodegradable and non-biodegradable garbage, Villamor said.

Meanwhile, the Lopez family has questioned the use of the sanitary landfill by the City Government despite the absence of a materials recovery facility (MRF).

The MRF is a requirement under the Republic Act 9003 or the Solidwaste Management Act of 2000.

In a press conference Thursday, Roy Lopez, spokesman of the family, expressed their family’s disagreement to the utilization of the sanitary landfill situated at the property which they claimed to be theirs.

The city supposedly still owes the Lopezes around P3.8 million.

Lopez said the situation at the sanitary landfill will be documented and submitted to the court for additional documentary evidence.

He said that they still have a case pending in court which they filed against the Mayor Monico Puentevella for alleged grave coercion and abuse of authority and ejectment.

This was after Puentevella and personnel of the Bacolod City Police Office forced open the padlocked sanitary landfill property in November last year.

Lopez said that Lawyer Cesar Beloria of the City Legal Office has promised before the court that they will not touch, enter or dump garbage at the sanitary landfill while the case is still being heard.

But what is happening now is different from what has been stated before the court, he said.

Lopez said that they have served the needs of the city for a dump site and their property has been used as an open dump site for almost a decade now.

Still, when they asked the city government to pay them or else they will close the property, what they got was a threat that the city will exercise its police power should they close the property.

Published in the Sun.Star Bacolod newspaper on March 14, 2014.

Local news

DISCLAIMER: Sun.Star website welcomes friendly debate, but comments posted on this site do not necessary reflect the views of the Sun.Star management and its affiliates. Sun.Star reserves the right to delete, reproduce or modify comments posted here without notice. Posts that are inappropriate will automatically be deleted.

Forum rules: Do not use obscenity. Some words have been banned. Stick to the topic. Do not veer away from the discussion. Be coherent and respectful. Do not shout or use CAPITAL LETTERS!

Today's front page

Sun.Star Bacolod front page for September 02, 2014

Other front pages

Sun.Star Jobs
  • goodearth
  • Philippine Polls
  • Pnoy
  • Sunstar Multimedia
  • Sun.Star Zup!
  • tell it to sunstar
  • Festivals
  • Calamity Report
  • Obituary
  • Habemus Papam
  • ePaper
  • SunStar Celebrity
  • Pacman blog
  • Sinulog
  • Filipino Abroad
  • Technology