Village chief backs sealing off drug-affected Brgy. 2-A A +A
Wednesday, April 16, 2014
BARANGAY 2 village chief Richard Barber said on Tuesday he supports the plan of the Bacolod city police to seal off his barangay against the entry of illegal drugs.
Barber, however, said the move should be discussed first with the Barangay Council, and issues on human rights violation should also be considered.
He also said that the city police should conduct a public hearing in Barangay 2 to hear the sentiments of the residents.
Senior Superintendent Larry Decena, officer-in-charge of Bacolod City Police Office (BCPO), had earlier said they are planning to seal-off Barangay 2 in the wake of the series of drug raids in the village.
He said though that they can only push through with the plan if they have the support of the barangay officials and the City Council.
In January 2011, Barangay 2 was also sealed off by the City Police Anti-Illegal Drugs Task Force, but Barber said the operation of illegal drug trade in the village continues.
He said that he also wants to clear his barangay of illegal drugs, but it has been observed though that most of the drug pushers are not their residents.
They are strikers who are temporarily staying in Barangay 2, Barber said, adding that most of his constituents are actually engaged in hard labor such as stevedoring and driving of pedicabs.
Barber added that to help his constituents, he is planning to put up a food processing livelihood program for single mothers, and also to open a day care center.
The village chief discouraged Barangay 2 residents from engaging in illegal drug trade and appealed to them to support the program of the Philippine National Police to ensure peace and order in their barangay.
Published in the Sun.Star Bacolod newspaper on April 16, 2014.