Bomb scare hits Bacolod-A A +A
Tuesday, May 6, 2014
THE operations of the Central Negros Electric Cooperative (Ceneco) were halted Monday after an employee of its Cash Division received a call from an unidentified female around 8:30 a.m. saying that there was a bomb inside the building.
The Bacolod City Police Office (BCPO) also received a call from a concerned citizen around 10:30 a.m., informing them that there was a bomb inside the People’s House or the Bacolod Government Center.
Senior Superintendent Larry Decena, officer-in-charge of BCPO, said several policemen were deployed in the two areas together with the K-9 dogs to trace the possible bombs.
Cheryl Tortal, head of the Cooperative Promotion Sections of Ceneco, said the caller told the one who answered the phone that there was a bomb inside the building that will explode at exactly 9 a.m.
She said their staff immediately informed the security officers and all the employees and consumers were advised to vacate the building temporarily.
Tortal said that based on the statement of the unidentified caller, she heard the information from her office that there was a bomb inside the Ceneco building and that she immediately informed the management as a form of warning.
After almost two hours of search, no bombs were found, and the Ceneco compound was declared by the police cleared around 11 a.m.
Although it was a false alarm, Tortal said the incident caused panic to their consumers who were paying their bills.
The operation of Ceneco was temporarily stopped and resumed in the afternoon.
Tortal noted that last year, they also received a bomb threat and it was a false alarm.
“Maybe there’s someone who tried to sabotage the Ceneco operations,” she said.
She added they are conducting further investigation to trace the telephone number of the caller. (With reports from CNC)
Published in the Sun.Star Bacolod newspaper on May 06, 2014.