DENR to demolish illegal structures in NNNP-A A +A
Wednesday, May 14, 2014
THE Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR) is ready to demolish the illegal structures at the protected area of the North Negros Natural Park (NNNP) in Don Salvador Benedicto, Negros Occidental Governor Alfredo Marañon Jr. said Tuesday.
Marañon said the illegal structures were owned by individuals who received cease and desist orders (CDOs). A total of 89 individuals were served with CDOs.
The governor said the Municipal Government of Salvador Benedicto was given 200 hectares based on its township.
Provincial Environment and Natural Resources Office (Penro) head Andres Untal said the matter will be referred to the Protected Area Management Board (PAMB) before the demolition.
Last week, Untal issued 49 more CDOs on top of the 40 served earlier after the PAMB Technical Working Group reiterated its recommendation for the demolition of illegal structures.
The TWG recommended that performing holders of Certificates of Stewardship Contracts (CSC) will be issued certificate of eligibility for renewal. It added that areas with cancelled CSCs and those who are not eligible for renewal will be reverted back to the protected area.
The group also recommended the 200-hectare area to be included in the NNNP as a buffer zone and will form part of the town site.
Salvador Benedicto will prepare a site development plan to be approved by the PAMB.
Published in the Sun.Star Bacolod newspaper on May 14, 2014.