Ayalin enters not guilty plea-A A +A
Tuesday, June 10, 2014
FORMER Silay City village chief Noel Ayalin entered a plea of not guilty during his arraignment Monday for four counts of direct assault with murder and three counts of qualified direct assault with frustrated murder before the Regional Trial Court Branch 69 in Silay City.
Ayalin, escorted by personnel of Metro Bacolod District Jail (MBDJ), was accompanied by his legal counsel Danilo Pabalinas of the Public Attorney’s Office (PAO) when he appeared before Judge Felipe Banzon.
The arraignment was also attended by the family of Ayalin’s victims with their counsel Ma. Liza Lorraine Atutubo.
Banzon scheduled the pre-trial hearing on June 16, 2 p.m.
Last month, Ayalin pleaded guilty on two counts of attempted homicide during his arraignment before the Municipal Trial Court in Cities (MTCC) Branch 37 also in Silay City.
He was sentenced to serve three months to one year and six months of imprisonment for these cases.
Ayalin, who once served as barangay chairman of Kapitan Ramon, Silay City, has not been granted bail on four counts of direct assault with murder.
The three counts of qualified direct assault with frustrated murder has a bail of P200,000 each.
In March 2011, he allegedly killed in a shooting spree four village officials, and injured four others.
Village chief Ramon Celebre, Ayalin’s successor, was among those injured when Ayalin fired at them while they were hold a session.
The four fatalities were council members Luzviminda Cotamen, Pedrito Orocio, Freddie Juno, and Sangguniang Kabataan chairperson Imee Occeña, who was only 16 then.
Interview after the proceedings, Celebre said they didn't expect that Ayalin will plead not guilty in his murder and frustrated murder cases.
They expected that Ayalin will admit the crime because he already asked for their forgiveness and he confessed his deeds to a priest, he added.
Celebre said they believe Ayalin was advised by his family not to admit the crime so they could delay the justice for the victims’ families.
After the arraignment, some relatives of the victims were seen crying in their anger to Ayalin.
Celebre also revealed that last week, they received threats through text messages from the daughter of Ayalin.
He said they reported the incident to the police.
Published in the Sun.Star Bacolod newspaper on June 10, 2014.