Yolanda victims to get P27-M aid from Concern Worldwide today-A A +A
Monday, June 16, 2014
THE P26.9-million cash assistance granted by Irish humanitarian organization Concern Worldwide to victims of Typhoon Yolanda in northern Negros will be distributed starting today, Monday, by local officials led by Gov. Alfredo Marañon Jr.
The organization’s country director Rosaleen Dew, and colleague Roberta Cappieri are expected to attend the turnover rites.
Concern Worldwide committed to help more than 11,000 Negrense families, whose houses were destroyed by Yolanda in November last year.
The P26.906-million cash assistance was granted through a funding agreement it signed with the Provincial Government.
Out of the total amount, P3.296 million is intended for the rehabilitation of the rock causeway/walkway in the coastal village of Molocaboc in Sagay City.
The remaining P23.61 million will be given to every 11,805 households that lost their homes at P3,000 each.
Provincial Planning and Development Office head Ma. Lina Sanogal, concurrent secretariat chair of the Provincial Disaster Risk Reduction Management Council, said the processing of support was started by the Irish NGO late last year during the term of its former country director Philip Miller
The first tranche set for release this week totaled P17.826 million for the 8,913 households in Manapla, Cadiz City and Sagay City.
The remaining P5.784 million will be included in the second tranche for beneficiaries in Silay City, Victorias City, E.B. Magalona, Kabankalan City, Toboso, Escalante City and Calatrav, among others.
Provincial Social Welfare and Development Office head Liane Garcia said the original list of beneficiaries from the province include 11,871 families, but it was reduced to 11,805 after monitoring and validation process.
Earlier, the Provincial Government also released P2,000 per household as its assistance to the homeless Yolanda victims.
Published in the Sun.Star Bacolod newspaper on June 16, 2014.