BACOLOD City Mayor Monico Puentevella said on Thursday he will not replace Executive Assistant Reynaldo “Butch” Ebreo as head of the Bacolod Traffic Authority Office-Traffic Management Unit (BTAO-TMU) despite the call of the Pinagkaisang Samahan ng Tsuper at Operator Nationwide (Piston) and United Negros Drivers and Operators Center (Undoc) for Ebreo’s ouster.
FOR the second consecutive month, the residential power rate of Central Negros Electric Cooperative (Ceneco) has increased this time by 37 centavos per kilowatt hour (kWh).
In its advisory Thursday, the Ceneco management said the rate for September 2014 billing is P9.7477 per kWh from last month’s P9.3766 per kWh.
THE city mayor and the City Council of Bacolod have the authority to impose discipline on Association of Barangay Captains president Noli Villarosa who was allegedly caught displaying his firearm in public recently.
THE activity of Mt. Kanlaon Volcano is in a normal level and there's no worry for its possible eruption at this time, the Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology (Phivolcs) said.
FIFTY-SIX percent of the 243,522 children in Negros Occidental to be vaccinated by measles rubella and polio have so far been reached through the month-long mass immunization campaign of the Department of Health (DOH).
MAYOR Monico Puentevella said on Thursday the City Government of Bacolod will provide a cash incentive to Patrick Joseph Mabugat, a graduate of the University of Negros Occidental-Recoletos (UNO-R), who topped this month’s Medical Technology Licensure Examination.
Mabugat garnered a score of 90.90 percent to finish first among the 2,986 passers.
THE Central Negros Electric Cooperative (Ceneco) has given the Talisay City Government 10 days to settle its P32.247 million accumulated unsettled electric bills or else their power supply will be disconnected.
In the demand letter dated September 17, Ceneco general manager Sulpicio Lagarde Jr. said the city’s billing statement includes the City School Board’s electric bill of P1.718 million.
PATRICK Joseph Mabugat, a graduate of the University of Negros Occidental-Recoletos (UNO-R), topped the Medical Technology Licensure Examination conducted by the Professional Regulation Commission (PRC) last September 13 and 14.
Mabugat garnered a score of 90.90 percent to land first place among the 2,986 passers out of the 3,615 examinees.
THE Pinagkaisang Samahan ng Tsuper at Operator Nationwide (Piston) and United Negros Drivers Operators Center (Undoc) are urging Mayor Monico Puentevella to replace his executive assistant Reynaldo Ebreo as head of the Bacolod Traffic Authority Office (BTAO) and Traffic Management Unit (TMU).
Diego Malacad, secretary-general of Undoc, sent a letter-petition to Puentevella through the City Council, stating the reasons why there is a need to change Ebreo.
THE City Council of Bacolod passed on Wednesday four different resolutions authorizing Mayor Monico Puentevella to sign a memorandum of agreement with the barangays and schools who will receive subsidies from the city government for the MassKara street dance competition.
The villages include Barangays 29, 36, 22, 3, 34, 15, 33, 23, 12, 26, 27, 38, 16, 14, Handumanan, Villamonte, Alijis, Granada, and Tangub.
THE Provincial Board of Negros Occidental approved during their regular session Wednesday the Supplemental Budget Number 3 that includes the P12-million payment for the taxes for the Capitol properties that were swapped with those owned by Gonzaga and Vasquez families.
The said properties located behind the pala-pala fish market and behind the Provincial Capitol building are covered with the lease agreement between the Provincial Government and Ayala Land Inc.
THE members of the Bacolod City Council lauded the talents shown by the Children's Rondalla of Education Training Center School (ETCS) II who performed various musical pieces during their regular session Wednesday.
The group of young musicians qualified for the National Music Competition for Young Artists Regional Level which will be held at Silay City Civic Center on September 27.
MULTI-SECTORAL organizations in Bacolod City and Negros Occidental formed the Utility Consumers Alliance of Negros (UCAN) on Tuesday to protect consumer welfare and to push for legitimate issues of the consumers against the Central Negros Electric Cooperatives (Ceneco).
BACOLOD City Mayor Monico Puentevella met with the members of the City Council on Tuesday to reiterate the need to legislate the proposed increase in the real property taxes.
He said his administration is seriously considering the imposition of a reasonable increase in land taxes in compliance with the provisions of the Local Government Code.
THE Bacolod City Police Office (BCPO) has requested the City Government for an endorsement of its proposal to suspend permits to carry firearms outside of residence during the 2014 MassKara Festival from October 1 to 19.
THE provincial chairman of Liberal Party (LP) in Negros Occidental clarified President Benigno Aquino's statement on the issue of re-election.
Negros Occidental third district Representative Alfredo Benitez said Aquino had only said, "I hope it's not me" who will run for president in the 2016 elections.
NEGROS Occidental Board Member Alain Gatuslao of the fifth district confirmed on Tuesday that the men of former Ang Galing Pinoy (AGP) party-list Representative Mikey Arroyo has been doing a massive recruitment of supporters especially among barangay captains in their district.
The confirmation bolsters speculations that Arroyo, son of former President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo and nephew of the late fifth district Representative Ignacio Arroyo, is bent on running for congressman in the fifth district.
THE City Legal Office of Talisay in Negros Occidental declared as having no basis the City Council resolution banning the taking of videos during their session.
Bartolome Malde Jr., city legal officer, said that Council Resolution 141, Series of 2014, has no basis both in law and customary legislative aspect.
DAMAGE to agriculture in Negros Occidental reached P4.9 million after successive days of flooding in five towns and cities in the south due to torrential rains brought by southwest monsoon.
Affected areas were the towns of Valladolid, Pulupandan, San Enrique, Hinigaran, and Bago City.
NEGROS Occidental Governor Alfredo Marañon Jr. said President Benigno S. Aquino III has already confirmed that he is not seeking reelection despite the overwhelming endorsements from his allies.
“He has already categorically said that he is not running for second term,” said Marañon, who attended the meeting with the President at the Maharlika Hall of Malacañang Friday.
AT LEAST 600 policemen will be deployed by Bacolod City Police Office (BCPO) to the different festival sites during the 2014 MassKara Festival from October 1 to 19.
Chief Inspector Noel Polines, head of BCPO-Operations Branch, said on Monday that they asked for an augmentation of 100 policemen from the Regional Public Safety Battalion and 50 from the Negros Occidental Police Provincial Office.
MAYOR Jose Max Ortiz of Don Salvador Benedicto (DSB) said the House committee on environment approved the 200-hectare townsite of the municipality as proposed in the bill refiled by First District Representative Julio Ledesma IV.
Ortiz said that Abang Lingkod Representative Stephen Paduano moved for the approval of the bill.
BACOLOD City Councilors El Cid Familiaran and Caesar Distrito authored the most number of city ordinances from July 2013 to June 2014, based on the records of the City Council.
TWO snatchers were arrested in a follow-up operation conducted by Police Station 10 in Barangay Handumanan, Bacolod City Sunday afternoon.
Police identified the suspects as Domingo Jimenez, 22, and Rolan Morcilla, 50, both residents of Purok Kawayanan 2, Barangay Handumanan.
THE body of the 14-year-old boy who went missing after he drowned at Swally Beach Resort in Barangay Linawon, Cauayan, Negros Occidental was recovered Monday morning.
Superintendent German Garbosa, chief of Cauayan Municipal Police Station, said the body of Jogen de la Peña was found around 5:30 a.m. along the shoreline.
MACAU – The Visayan Bloc, considered a potent force in the House of Representatives, with the leaders of Negros Occidental led by Governor Alfredo Marañon Jr. vowed to fully support Third District Representative Alfredo Benitez if he decides to run for the Senate in 2016.
Benitez brought his fellow Negrense officials and his colleagues in Congress from the Visayas here over the weekend. They were joined by journalists from Bacolod City.
BACOLOD City Councilors Wilson Gamboa Jr. and Archie Baribar urged the City Engineer's Office, Office of the Building Official, and General Services Office to look into the defects such as leakages and cracks of the Bacolod Government Center building.
They made the call in a resolution passed by the City Council during their last session.
A MAN and his daughter were found dead while his nephew was missing after they drowned at the Swally Beach Resort in Barangay Linawon, Cauayan, Negros Occidental Saturday.
Police identified the victims as Hernie Hermoso, 42; Ma. Ellen Hermoso, 15; and Jogen de la Peña, 14, all residents of Barangay Linawon.
NEGROS Occidental Second District Board Member Salvador Escalante said on Sunday he is optimistic that the Provincial Board will approve the supplemental budget for the payment of taxes imposed by the Bureau of Internal Revenue (BIR) amounting to P12 million for a portion of the property the province is leasing to Ayala Land Inc. (ALI) which was a subject of a land swap.
Escalante, chairman of the committee on budget and finance, said they are just waiting for the document from the Court of Appeals (CA) covering the land swap.
THE Commission on Audit (COA) has affirmed the lifting or setting aside of another Notice of Disallowance for P11,794,210.81 on the construction of the perimeter roads of the Bacolod New Government Center, a press release from the office of Bacolod City Representative Evelio Leonardia said Sunday.
COA Chairperson Ma. Gracia Pulido Tan with COA Commissioners Heidi Mendoza and Jose Fabia, in a decision dated September 3, 2014, affirmed as proper the approval made by COA-Western Visayas Regional Office in granting the appeal filed by then mayor Leonardia and other city officials concerned against the disallowance.