Capture Escalante City rob suspects, NBI told-A A +A
Friday, August 1, 2014
NEGROS Occidental Gov. Alfredo Marañon Jr. asked the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) to go after the suspects of the P2-million robbery at the Treasurer's Office of the Escalante City Hall.
The culprits must be arrested and should be criminally charge, Marañon said.
The robbery took place last July 13, and the NBI is acting on a resolution passed by the Provincial Board asking the agency to conduct an investigation to determine the real culprit behind the robbery of government funds.
Mayor Melecio Yap, meanwhile, said that they welcome the NBI investigation that started Thursday.
He said the police has already invited a janitor assigned at the Cashiering Division of the Treasurer's Office, who had earlier admitted the robbery, but retracted his statement and denied any participation to the crime.
The total cash lost was P900,000 and the rest were checks which were already recovered by the Treasurer's Office.
Yap revealed that aside from the janitor, two watchmen are also being investigated, adding that they were already relieved from their posts at the Treasurer's Office.
The janitor has a key to the office, the mayor said.
The bulk of the cash stolen from the vault amounting to P600,000 was intended for the city scholars while the rest were for cash advances for small city projects.
Yap assured the scholars that the city’s scholarship program would not be affected by the robbery incident. (TDE)
Published in the Sun.Star Bacolod newspaper on August 01, 2014.