‘Coup vs. PNoy won’t prosper’

-A A +A

Friday, August 1, 2014


REPRESENTATIVE Gary Alejano of Samahan ng Magdalo party-list said he believes that the reported coup d’ etat being plotted against the administration of President Benigno S. Aquino III will not prosper.

Alejano, a former Marine captain who was one of the Oakwood mutineers more than a decade ago against the Arroyo administration, said on Thursday that any attempt to oust Aquino will not happen if there is no participation from soldiers in active service.

"PNoy (Aquino) enjoys the support of the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP). I don't think they will be able to convince the AFP to go against the present administration. How can they turn their backs against the President who has full support for them?" the Magdalo legislator said.

Advertisement

Alejano, who is from Sipalay City, Negros Occidental, said the President has been working for the modernization of the AFP and in fact, about 60,000 units of M-16 rifles for the Philippine Army just arrived in the country.

He added that the Philippine National Police also enjoys the support of the Aquino administration, and the President is working on the realization of the one-is-to-one pistol ratio for the members of the police force.

"So I don't think the plot will effect against Aquino," Alejano further said.

Senator Antonio Trillanes IV had earlier exposed the alleged coup plot by some retired generals against Aquino.

Meanwhile, Colonel Jon Aying, commander of the 303rd Infantry Brigade of the Philippine Army in Negros Occidental, said there is no movement or any destabilization plan in the province against the Aquino government.

"We in the AFP submit to the human rights law and the rule of law. We follow a chain of command and we cannot allow any member of the AFP to violate the rule of law," Aying said.

On Thursday, Defense Secretary Voltaire Gazmin said there is no truth to reports claiming that some elements of the military will be launching a coup.

During his State of the Nation Address Monday, the President highlighted the continued modernization of the Armed Forces.

Some of the equipment already acquired under his administration were eight W-3A "Sokol" combat utility helicopters, two Hamilton class cutters and one landing craft utility.

The Philippine government has also signed the P18-billion contract for the acquisition of 12 units of Korea Aerospace Industries F/A-50 "Fighting Eagle" which will act as the country's interim jet fighters while waiting for the proper funding and training which will allow it to procure multi-role combat aircraft.

A P4.8-billion contract with the Canadian government for eight Bell 412EP combat utility helicopters was signed as well.

Published in the Sun.Star Bacolod newspaper on August 01, 2014.

Local news

DISCLAIMER: Sun.Star website welcomes friendly debate, but comments posted on this site do not necessary reflect the views of the Sun.Star management and its affiliates. Sun.Star reserves the right to delete, reproduce or modify comments posted here without notice. Posts that are inappropriate will automatically be deleted.

Forum rules: Do not use obscenity. Some words have been banned. Stick to the topic. Do not veer away from the discussion. Be coherent and respectful. Do not shout or use CAPITAL LETTERS!

Today's front page

Sun.Star Bacolod's front page for October 23, 2014

Other front pages

Sun.Star Jobs
  • Calamity Report
  • goodearth
  • Festivals
  • Filipino Abroad
  • Pacman blog
  • ePaper
  • SunStar Celebrity
  • Sun.Star Zup!
  • tell it to sunstar
  • Habemus Papam
  • Pnoy
  • Sunstar Multimedia
  • Sinulog
  • Philippine Polls
  • Technology
  • Obituary