Arles kin to ask SC to deny plea on trial venue-A A +A
Thursday, August 21, 2014
THE family of the late judge Henry Arles will file an opposition to the motion for reconsideration filed by the three suspects on the Supreme Court ruling to transfer the venue of the trial of the judge’s murder case.
The High Court had earlier ruled to transfer the trial venue from Kabankalan City Regional Trial Court to Quezon City Regional Trial Court.
Philip Arles, son of the slain judge, said Wednesday the suspects Jessie Daguia, Eddie Fortunado and Alejandro Capunong filed the appeal through their lawyer Romeo Subaldo Sr.
They stated in their motion for reconsideration that it would be accessible for the accused if the venue of the trial be transferred to Bacolod City instead of Quezon City.
They also said that Assistant City Prosecutor Albert Arles, another son of the slain judge, can protect their witnesses.
Still, Philip said they hope the SC would deny the motion of the three accused because they believe that despite the dismissal of the case against former Vice Governor Genaro Alvarez and his son Vice Mayor John Paul Alvarez of Ilog, and Vice Mayor Jerry Tabujara of Cauayan, they are still influential in the province.
Besides, Philip said, the suspects are members of the Revolutionary Proletarian Army-Alex Boncayao Brigade (RPA-ABB) who are also allegedly involved in gun-for-hire transactions.
“We find the Quezon City RTC to be neutral ground for the trial of the case,” he added.
On November 19, 2012, the Department of Justice (DOJ) dismissed the murder complaint filed by the Arles siblings against Alvarez and his son John Paul, and Tabujara, the alleged masterminds, due to insufficient evidence.
On the other hand, the DOJ recommended the filing of the same case against seven other respondents, including six members of the RPA-ABB.
Aside from Daguia, Fortunado, and Capunong, other respondents who are also RPA-ABB members are Marvin Salve, Gerald Tabujara, and Rustom Puro.
Another suspect is Emanuel Medes, a casual employee of the municipal government of Ilog.
Philip said they also have a pending motion for reconsideration with the DOJ on the dismissal of the complaint against the Alvarezes and Tabujara.
Despite the delays in the justice they are seeking for the death of their father, they continue to hope that it will come soon, he added. (TDE)
Published in the Sun.Star Bacolod newspaper on August 21, 2014.