Yap on dismissal of murder cases: 'I'm vindicated' | SunStar

Yap on dismissal of murder cases: 'I'm vindicated'

Time to read
less than
1 minute
Read so far

Yap on dismissal of murder cases: 'I'm vindicated'

Wednesday, March 01, 2017

NEGROS Occidental First District Representative Melecio Yap Jr. Tuesday said the local court's decision dismissing the three murder cases and one frustrated murder case filed against him is a vindication.

Although he has not yet received a copy of the order, Yap said they already expect that the court will favor his side.

"The decision is just. I have been saying from the start that I am innocent and my conscience is clear," he said, adding that "the cases are just politically- motivated and that no witnesses could substantially indict me of the crimes."

The former Escalante City mayor said despite the dismissal they are still preparing for the "worst" as their opponents may still elevate the case to a higher court.

His camp is also mulling other legal steps like filing of charges for damages against the complainant, he added.

"I am thankful for the prayer and support of my constituents who rallied behind me as I bravely faced this crisis," Yap added.

The cases were filed due to the alleged involvement of Yap in the extra- judicial killings involving 28 residents of Escalante that separately occurred between 2007 and 2009.

Yap said those killings were admitted by the New People's Army.

Published in the Sun.Star Bacolod newspaper on March 01, 2017.

Latest issues of SunStar Bacolod also available on your mobile phones, laptops, and tablets. Subscribe to our digital editions at epaper.sunstar.com.ph and get a free seven-day trial.


View Comments