Police tap Army in probe on retired soldier's murder | SunStar

Police tap Army in probe on retired soldier's murder

Time to read
less than
1 minute
Read so far

Police tap Army in probe on retired soldier's murder

Monday, March 20, 2017

THE Isabela Municipal Police Station has asked the help of the Philippine Army and the Negros Occidental Provincial Public Safety Company (Noppsc) in the pursuit of the men behind the killing of a retired soldier last week.

Senior Inspector Joseph Partidas, town deputy police chief, said on Sunday that they tapped the government forces to determine if a similar incident happened before to help the police in their investigation.

Melvin Tovis, 49, was gunned down by suspected members of the New People's Army in Barangay Sibucawan last March 17.

He was with a friend in front of a coffee shop when five unidentified men fired at him, and carted away his friend's bag containing P10,000 cash. The assailants escaped on foot.

Partidas said the angle they are closely studying is Tovis's reported encounter with the rebels in Barangay San Agustin in 2016, during the time when he was detailed as security guard of an hacienda.

The encounter led to serious injuries of two rebels.

Published in the Sun.Star Bacolod newspaper on March 20, 2017.

Latest issues of SunStar Bacolod also available on your mobile phones, laptops, and tablets. Subscribe to our digital editions at epaper.sunstar.com.ph and get a free seven-day trial.


View Comments