Village officials in Bacolod told to submit security plan

Village officials in Bacolod told to submit security plan

Time to read
1 minute
Read so far

Village officials in Bacolod told to submit security plan

Wednesday, July 05, 2017

THE Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) has tasked barangay officials in Bacolod City to come up with a security plan following the reported terror threats.

Carmelo Orbista, officer-in-charge of DILG-Bacolod, said Tuesday, July 4, that barangay officials should include a series of activities that will be done in case of incidents.

They were required to submit the security plan by July 15.

Orbista, who led the meeting with barangay officials at the Bacolod Government Center Monday afternoon, said the village officials were given a template.

He said the meeting was held upon agreement with the law enforcement agencies and the City Disaster Risk Reduction Management Office (CDRRMO) during the City Peace and Order Council meeting conducted on June 20.

Also present were personnel from Bacolod City Police Office (BCPO), Bureau of Fire Protection, Armed Forces of the Philippines, and CDRRMO.

“As a highly-urbanized city, Bacolod needs to prepare for this. We want the barangay officials to be involved and active in the fight against terrorism,” Orbista said.

He said they tapped the barangay officials along with the village watchmen because they are the ones who could identify the residents within their respective areas.

“We want them (barangay officials) to take a very active role in maintaining the peace and order within their areas of jurisdiction. For as long as we have a threat, we will not stop and we should be prepared,” Orbista added.

Last week, text messages and posts on Facebook from a certain Nikka stated that a certain group will “create bomb in malls, churches and highly-urbanized cities.”

Vice Mayor El Cid Familiaran urged Bacolodnons to be vigilant in the fight against terrorism and report to the authorities the presence of suspicious persons.

Meanwhile, Taculing village chieftain Alexander Diamante confirmed that some evacuees from Marawi City are staying with their relatives in Purok Rosal.

He said they already coordinated with the BCPO to determine the identities of the evacuees.

Extortion

Meanwhile, Councilor Noli Villarosa, president of Liga ng mga Barangay in Bacolod City, warned his fellow village officials against groups who are allegedly extorting money in exchange for an appointment from Malacañang for barangay positions.

Villarosa, a member of the Liga National Executive Board, said he received several complaints that these groups are using organizations with links to President Rodrigo Duterte, including his political party Partido Demokratiko Pilipino-Lakas ng Bayan.

“They should not fall for these extortionists. In fact, the proposal that there will be no barangay elections in October and for barangay officials to be appointed by the President is not yet certain,” he added. (with reports from TDE)

Published in the SunStar Bacolod newspaper on July 05, 2017.

Latest issues of SunStar Bacolod also available on your mobile phones, laptops, and tablets. Subscribe to our digital editions at epaper.sunstar.com.ph and get a free seven-day trial.


View Comments