A THREE-YEAR-OLD from Villamonte village in Bacolod City died of dengue recently, the City Health Office (CHO) said.
Ednairen Lubrico died in August 5 after three days of fever.
Dr. Grace Tan, chief of CHO Environmental Sanitation Division, said Lubrico was the seventh fatality since January this year.
A seven-year-old girl in Barangay Tangub died in July. In the past months, fatalities included a 10-year-old boy in Barangay Sum-ag, five-year-old boy in Barangay Singcang-Airport, an eight-year-old boy in Barangay Granada, a two-year-old boy in Barangay 14, and a 12-year-old in Barangay Handumanan.
Tan said that from January to August, the CHO has recorded 786 cases, which is 18.5 percent higher compared to the 662 cases for the same period last year.
In 2016, the rise in dengue cases started in the month of July while this year, the increase has been noted since January, she added.
“We should not wait for the patient to become weak and then bring him or her to the hospital to avoid death,” Tan said.
Tan said the CHO’s advocacy is searching and destroying the breeding grounds of mosquitoes.
“Practice cleaning the surroundings not only outside, but also inside the house,” she added.
The CHO also reminded residents of Bacolod to practice the “4S” to prevent and control dengue.
The 4S means search and destroy mosquito breeding places, use self-protection measures, seek early consultation for fevers lasting more than 2 days, and say no to indiscriminate fogging.
Published in the SunStar Bacolod newspaper on August 12, 2017.
Latest issues of SunStar Bacolod also available on your mobile phones, laptops, and tablets. Subscribe to our digital editions at epaper.sunstar.com.ph and get a free seven-day trial.