Bacolod City Engineer’s Office asked to submit report on city’s youth home

City Engineer’s Office asked to submit report on Bacolod youth home

Time to read
1 minute
Read so far

City Engineer’s Office asked to submit report on Bacolod youth home

Saturday, August 12, 2017

BACOLOD City Councilor Em Ang asked the City Engineer’s Office through Mayor Evelio Leonardia to provide the City Council a status report on the Bacolod City Youth Home.

Ang, who authored the resolution for the purpose passed on Wednesday, August 9, said in February 2013, the Department of the Interior and Local Government awarded Bacolod City a cash incentive of P3 million from the Performance Challenge Fund as recipient of the Seal of Good Housekeeping.

She said the fund was used for the construction of Phase II of the Bacolod City Youth Home, which included the construction of the administration building and refectory.

Ang added that for almost four years already passed since the completion of Phase I, but the building and other facilities remain unutilized.
On November 16, 2011, the SP approved City Ordinance 566, Series of 2011, otherwise known as “An Ordinance establishing the Bacolod City Youth Home, creating the technical committee for its construction and providing funds thereof.”

The Youth Home will serve as a temporary detention and a 24-hour child caring facility to be managed by the Department of Social Services and Development for the purpose of providing short-term residential rehabilitation, treatment, and care for children in conflict with the law

Ang said the construction of Phase I of the Bacolod City Youth Home in Progreso Village, Relocation Site 2 started in March 2013, consisting of the dormitory, concrete fence, overhead water tank, and installation of electrical supply, and was completed on August 22, 2013.

She added that in 2016, Engineer Loben Ceballos reported that the Youth Home is already 90 percent completed.

“There is a need to make the Bacolod City Youth Home operational especially in light of the increasing number of children in conflict with the law and in compliance with Republic Act 9344,” the councilor said.

Published in the SunStar Bacolod newspaper on August 12, 2017.

Latest issues of SunStar Bacolod also available on your mobile phones, laptops, and tablets. Subscribe to our digital editions at epaper.sunstar.com.ph and get a free seven-day trial.


View Comments