SAF trooper injured in clash with rebels | SunStar

SAF trooper injured in clash with rebels

Time to read
less than
1 minute
Read so far

SAF trooper injured in clash with rebels

Monday, September 11, 2017

A MEMBER of the Philippine National Police-Special Action Force (PNP-SAF) was injured after his team engaged in a firefight with 30 armed men believed to be members of the New People’s Army (NPA) at Barangay Gatuslao, Candoni, Negros Occidental Saturday morning.

Senior Superintendent Rodolfo Castil Jr., director of Negros Occidental Police Provincial Office (Nocppo), refused to name the wounded policeman as of Sunday.

Castil said the trooper sustained minor injuries and is confined at a hospital.

On September 8, the PNP-SAF and the Philippine Army conducted internal security operations in the village after receiving information about armed men sightings.

The following day, while the operation was ongoing, armed men fired at government forces that injured a policeman. It was followed by a firefight around 8:40 a.m.

Castil said the police and military personnel were not able to penetrate the area of the rebels for security reasons, and the armed men eventually withdrew.

During the clearing operation, government forces recovered two long firearms, medicine kits, subversive documents, and personal belongings.

Castil said blood stains were also seen, but they cannot yet confirm if there were casualties on the side of the rebels.

Published in the SunStar Bacolod newspaper on September 11, 2017.

Latest issues of SunStar Bacolod also available on your mobile phones, laptops, and tablets. Subscribe to our digital editions at epaper.sunstar.com.ph and get a free seven-day trial.


View Comments