RESIDENTS of Bacolod City affected by flashfloods last September 23 will receive financial assistance from the City Government.
Pacita Tero, head of Department of Social Services and Development (DSSD), said yesterday those whose houses were destroyed will receive P10,000 each while those with damaged houses will receive P5,000.
She said the number of houses destroyed by floods increased from 91 to 103 while those that were damaged also rose from 102 to 215 houses.
Last month, floods hit several barangays and affected 9,716 persons from 2,351 families in 20 villages.
Affected were Barangays Singcang-Airport, Taculing, Estefania, Alijis, Pahanocoy, Sum-ag, Mansilingan, Vista Alegre, Montevista, Bata, Handumanan, Villamonte, Mandalagan, and Barangays 26, 27, 28, 35, 39, 40 and 41.
Tero said they are still validating the figures, and affected families are required to submit the requirements for the release of cash assistance.
The affected villages are situated near the rivers of Magsungay, Lupit, and Mandalagan.
Executive Assistant Jose Maria Vargas, cluster head for City Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office (CDRRMO), had earlier said that there was on overflow of water from the rivers that hit various barangays in Bacolod.
Vargas said the waters rose in some parts of Bacolod because of the flash floods from the mountains.
Published in the SunStar Bacolod newspaper on October 04, 2017.
Latest issues of SunStar Bacolod also available on your mobile phones, laptops, and tablets. Subscribe to our digital editions at epaper.sunstar.com.ph and get a free seven-day trial.