THE Bacolod City Task Force Panghawan is waiting for the court order that will allow them to proceed with the demolition of illegal structures around the city.
Executive Assistant Celestino Guara, task force head, said yesterday the City Government already identified the illegal structures, but they need to follow the proper procedures before these will be demolished.
“It will pass the court, then the City Legal Office will spearhead the implementation,” he said.
Negros Occidental Governor Alfredo Marañon Jr. had earlier asked the officials of Bacolod City to clear the city's roads of squatters.
Marañon said some of the settlers have occupied half of the streets which have caused road congestion, especially along San Juan Street going to Barangay Banago.
Guara said the City Government has intensified its campaign against illegal structures, but they are now prioritizing the demolition of those located in danger zones.
He said the affected residents will be relocated to the Abada-Escay relocation site in Barangay Vista Alegre.
“We are waiting for the court order so that we can remove the illegal structures and squatters,” Guara added.
City Administrator John Orola had earlier said they have sent notices to the affected families occupying areas near the rivers, creeks and bridges.
He said they will demolish the illegal structures that block the waterways and cause floods.
The City Government will provide relocation assistance to the affected families, but only the house owners are qualified while those who are doing business near the creeks or rivers are not.
Published in the SunStar Bacolod newspaper on October 04, 2017.
Latest issues of SunStar Bacolod also available on your mobile phones, laptops, and tablets. Subscribe to our digital editions at epaper.sunstar.com.ph and get a free seven-day trial.