Liga head: ‘No abuse of power’ despite delay of polls | SunStar

Liga head: ‘No abuse of power’ despite delay of polls

Time to read
1 minute
Read so far

Liga head: ‘No abuse of power’ despite delay of polls

Thursday, October 05, 2017

THE head of the Association of Barangay Captains (ABC) in Negros Occidental assured the public that there will be no abuse of power as the village officials will remain in their posts anew with the postponement of the village elections.

Board Member Annabelle Bermudo, president of ABC-Negros Occidental, said Wednesday, October 4, the association adheres to providing the services needed by their constituents.

Bermudo said remaining in their positions in a hold-over capacity would also enable village officials to finish the programs and projects still in progress, including the campaign against illegal drugs and other priorities of the administration.

“We will continue to work for the best interest of the people,” she said, adding that although they are excited to file their certificates of candidacy (COC) today, “the postponement is still a welcome development.”

In Bacolod City, Councilor Noli Villarosa, president of Liga ng mga Barangay, said Wednesday they are thankful that President Rodrigo Duterte finally signed into law the bill postponing the village and Youth Council elections to 2018.

“We are in favor that the President Duterte postpones the elections,” Villarosa said. “We are happy and thankful that it has been postponed so that we can save our money.”

Villarosa said the President signed the law a day before the scheduled filing of COCs and most of his colleagues and friends have already spent big amounts for the October elections.

He added that he will continue to serve his constituents in Tangub Village.

On Monday, President Rodrigo Duterte signed into law a measure postponing the elections scheduled on October 23.

Under Republic Act 10952, subsequent synchronized village and Youth Council elections were moved to the second Monday of May 2018 and will be conducted every three years thereafter.

The newly-signed law said incumbent village executives shall remain in office until their successors shall have been duly elected or unless they have been removed or suspended.

The Congress has approved a bill seeking to also move the village and youth council elections following Duterte's persistent claims that drug syndicates would take advantage on the possible resumption of the twin polls.

Published in the SunStar Bacolod newspaper on October 05, 2017.

Latest issues of SunStar Bacolod also available on your mobile phones, laptops, and tablets. Subscribe to our digital editions at epaper.sunstar.com.ph and get a free seven-day trial.


View Comments