THE murder complaint filed before the Bacolod City Prosecutor’s Office against two police officers and a dismissed policeman was sacked for lack of probable cause.
Police Officer 2 Marlon Famucol, Police Officer 3 Dareen Ann Aguas, both assigned at the Philippine National Police headquarters in Camp Crame, and former Police Officer 1 Jason Sumalangcay were accused in the death of Byron Bacarro, principal witness in the rob-slay of a Chinese businessman and security guard of JDS Mindoro Enterprises Corp. in December last year.
The resolution stated that the prosecutor was “not persuaded” with the evidence presented by the complainant.
After careful examination and incisive evaluation of the evidence presented, the prosecutor finds “no probable cause to indict the respondents for the crime charged,” the ruling showed.
Famucol, in an interview with RMN Bacolod, said he is vindicated now that the truth has come out.
He said he is thankful for the outcome of the case.
As of Wednesday, Senior Superintendent Jack Wanky, acting director of Bacolod City Police Office, cannot be reached for a comment.
Bacaro, who implicated Sumalangcay and Famucol in the robbery-killing of Chinese national Changle Wu, son of the owner of JDS Mindoro Enterprises Corp., and security guard Jilbert Mayang, was found dead in Barangay Granada on January 24, two days after he reportedly retracted his sworn statement.
A month after Bacarro’s death, charges for robbery with homicide and three counts of frustrated homicide filed against Famucol and Sumalangcay were also dismissed by the City Prosecutor’s Office.
Published in the SunStar Bacolod newspaper on October 05, 2017.
Latest issues of SunStar Bacolod also available on your mobile phones, laptops, and tablets. Subscribe to our digital editions at epaper.sunstar.com.ph and get a free seven-day trial.