RESPONDING to the call of President Rodrigo Duterte to remain alert even if the crisis in Marawi City is over, Negros Occidental Governor Alfredo Marañon Jr. urged Negrenses to report to the authorities if they see suspicious persons or activities in their localities.
The governor echoed the call of the President that “we should be vigilant and be prepared so that what happened in Marawi will not happen here.”
Duterte, who was in Bacolod City Sunday, October 22, for the highlights of the 38th MassKara Festival, said it is necessary to implement measures to thwart terrorism.
One of these measures, the President said, is profiling, though he doesn’t condone it because he hates it.
He pointed out that it is a good measure to know the community.
Last week, Islamic State-linked terrorists’ top leaders Isnilon Hapilon and Omar Maute were killed after almost five months of fighting against the government forces.
Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana Monday said the war between government forces and terrorists in Marawi City, Lanao del Sur, is finally over with the remaining extremists killed in the recent encounter.
"We now announce the termination of all combat operations in Marawi," he added.
Published in the SunStar Bacolod newspaper on October 24, 2017.
Latest issues of SunStar Bacolod also available on your mobile phones, laptops, and tablets. Subscribe to our digital editions at epaper.sunstar.com.ph and get a free seven-day trial.