Sabillo keen on regaining throne-A A +A
Tuesday, April 1, 2014
EVERYONE deserves another chance.
Former Filipino boxing champion Merlito “Tiger” Sabillo (23-1-1, 12KOs) of Bacolod City sees himself rising again after a heartbreaking loss to now WBO minimumweight champion Francisco Rodriguez Jr. (14-2, 10KOs) of Mexico last month in the latter’s home turf.
It was the first defeat of the 30-year-old Sabillo since he started his boxing career as a pro.
Though he was terribly upset with the match’s outcome, Sabillo with high spirit said, “I will rise again and regain my title. I will train harder and be stronger when I return.”
“I really felt bad about it. And, it’s quite painful,” he added. “But, everything has always a reason and God knows it,” Sabillo said.
For ALA gym manager Antonio “Bidoy” Aldeguer, everyone always deserves to make a comeback from every defeat.
“Merlito [Sabillo] isn’t the first fighter to do that. Many had even retired from this sport yet, they returned and fought again. You have Floyd [Mayweather], Erik [Morales], and even Boom-Boom [Bautista] for example,” he said.
“The love for the sport made their return. And their beliefs that they can still regain what was lost forced them to do so,” he added.
“For Merlito [Sabillo], lots of things can happen after his last fight. But it all depends on him. We’re just here to help him achieve it,” Aldeguer said.
Sabillo has already returned to Bacolod to continue his recovery.
Published in the Sun.Star Bacolod newspaper on April 01, 2014.