Tublay pushes probe into illegal mine-A A +A
Tuesday, September 25, 2012
TUBLAY, Benguet -- Officials expressed fears on the consequences of an alleged ongoing illegal “large-scale mining” near residential areas in Adabung, Caponga.
Councilor Wilfredo Diano, during the council’s regular session on Monday, said illegal mining operates in a private lot of Wilson Capuyan. He said the lot being mined is around eight hectares.
Diano said he had been listening to various activities of the operators because his house is near the area. He also said that he usually hears noisy activities of the miners with the use of dynamite to blow big stones.
He said the site is surrounded by residential houses and a barangay road is within the perimeter.
Diano said the mining is illegal because the owner has no permit at all. He stated the mining operation started last year.
He narrated some residents earlier petitioned the activity to the Provincial Mining Regulatory Board (PMRB) but until now, no actions were taken.
Mayor Ruben Paoad believes the illegal activity is not just small-scale mining but is a large-scale mining because it is mechanized.
He said the activity greatly affects the water sources of the town and could pollute the environment, adding that the illegal mining will destabilize the grounds of the whole municipality not only the nearby residential houses.
The council said the residents have been petitioning the problem to the PMRB. However, the office concerned failed to act on it.
The council members also revealed some of the residents are afraid to speak because the owner of the mining site is a prominent person.
Capuyan is alleged to be the owner of some business establishments like the now booming Winaka in town and Narda’s stores (with several branches in La Trinidad).
With this, the council passed a resolution to request the PMRB to conduct an in – depth investigation on the matter. Officials called on the other concerned agencies to act on the issue now before the grounds will sink.
Published in the Sun.Star Baguio newspaper on September 25, 2012.