Top cop: Jueteng ends this month!-A A +A
Thursday, October 25, 2012
CORDILLERA Police Chief Benjamin Magalong is giving the illegal numbers game (jueteng) until the end of the month.
A dismayed Magalong confirmed the resumption jueteng into the city as well as in Benguet, after close to a month halt since the visit of Philippine National Police (PNP) Director General Nicanor Bartolome Jr. in September.
“I am giving it until the end of this month, dapat wala na yan,” Magalong said.
During the visit, Bartolome ordered Magalong put a stop to the operations of the illegal numbers game in the region.
Magalong recently returned from a trip overseas and while he was away, kubradors (collectors) decided to have a field day. “Reports reveal it is people behind [the defunct provincial operations of a jai alai betting station].”
Previously, Meridien Vista Corporation operated in La Trinidad moving on a franchise from the Cagayan Economic Zone Authority (Ceza) for jai alai games, until permits were denied renewal by Mayor Greg Abalos.
Magalong said Meridien personnel are still masking jueteng bets for their jai alai operations.
It is believed the gaming company will move to other Benguet municipalities after the La Trinidad turned it down.
Magalong said the crackdown against illegal gambling continuous for the police and implores the help of the community as well as those in office.
Magalong said cases filed against those caught under Meridien have not prospered in court, making it difficult for the police to ensure a continuous apprehension and accountability.
Magalong said massive support is needed to permanently stop the illegal numbers game as well as other forms of gambling in the region.
Magalong said he has met Benguet Provincial Director Banjamin Lusad as well as newly installed City Police director Jesus Cambay on the matter.
In La Trinidad, there have been sporadic reports of gambling dens operating seasonally, eluding police arrests and raids.
Published in the Sun.Star Baguio newspaper on October 25, 2012.