Mayor: Ordinance needed to enforce firecracker prohibition-A A +A
Friday, January 4, 2013
A CITY ordinance that will give stricter penalties and guidelines will materialize the goals of having zero firecracker injuries in Baguio City, said Mayor Mauricio Domogan.
His statement came after the City Government imposed a firecracker ban in the city during New Year’s Eve, but failed to have 100 percent compliance, especially in the villages.
The Department of Health also reported an increase in firework-related injuries in Baguio, with the department recording 15 cases last New Year's Eve, compared to the 13 of last year.
Even the dragon aerial fireworks, which were allowed by the City Government, have also caused injuries, said authorities.
With this, Domogan said an ordinance to be crafted by the City Council will eventually give teeth to his administrative order.
He said a criminal penalty should be imposed with a corresponding fine to deter residents from using illegal firecrackers every New Year’s Eve.
The Baguio City Police Office, he said, confiscated some P22,000 illegal firecrackers that were eventually destroyed by the Task Force Paputok last Wednesday.
He said he is against the sale of any firecracker in the city, emphasizing its ill effects on the health and the environment.
Domogan said the ordinance will institutionalize the city’s New Year’s celebrations, including fireworks displays.
He added that the ordinance will be able to set the direction to certify which fireworks will be allowed to be sold to the public. (JM Agreda)
Published in the Sun.Star Baguio newspaper on January 04, 2013.