Beneco may boycott Provincial Board-A A +A
Wednesday, March 13, 2013
ARE Benguet Electric Cooperative (Beneco) officials also planning to boycott the Benguet Provincial Board if invited following events between the coop and the Baguio City Council?
On March 4, Beneco refused to appear before the City Council during its regular session.
In a letter to the council, the officials of the coop said their presence will be in vain because they will surely experience the same treatment they usually endure from the body. They said they will not be given the chance to express their side of the story.
Benguet Vice Governor Crescencio Pacalso said they will not invite Beneco anymore to explain the real score on the allegations of City Councilor Fred Bagbagen because they were furnished a copy of the letter of Beneco refusing the invitation of the City Council.
With this, Pacalso said it is being implied indirectly that if they also invite Beneco to explain the issues to them, they will receive the same refusal.
He said that prior to the refusal of Beneco to appear before the City Council, the board planned to invite the coop’s officials but it never materialized.
However, Pacalso said Beneco earlier proposed for a meeting with the members of the legislative body to shed light on the allegations of Bagbagen but until now, the board is still waiting for a formal communication.
The vice governor said Benguet officials have to be informed of the real situation on the alleged irregular transactions of the cooperative for the sake of the member–consumers in the province.
He said the member–consumers in Benguet will also be affected if the allegations of Bagbagen are proven to be true.
Bagbagen, in his privilege speech, revealed the transaction Beneco entered into with the Balbalan, Kalinga Mayor Kenneth Mangaoang has irregularities. He said the fund, which was used to purchase the materials for the town’s electrification project, came from the coffers of Beneco.
The local chief executive of Balbalan had been assuring the fund came from the local government unit’s budget and not from the money of Beneco.
Bagbagen questioned if Beneco’s General Manager Gerardo Verzosa act in entering into the transaction was authorized by the board of directors.
He also questioned the Balbalan Mayor if the council authorized him. He alleged the two officials have no proper authorities bestowed upon them to do the transaction.
These are just few among the allegations of Bagbagen against the Beneco administration on the transaction.
Published in the Sun.Star Baguio newspaper on March 13, 2013.