Gabutan gets shot at IBF in eliminator bout-A A +A
Wednesday, March 13, 2013
REIGNING WBO Oriental bantamweight title holder Dayer Gabutan is ready to go in an all-out war as he gears up for an upcoming IBF title eliminator later this month.
The 24-year-old boxer from Mt. Province was given a crack at the IBF title eliminator at the Carnival City in Brakpan, South Africa on March 23 against an older and experienced Vusi Malinga of South Africa.
Unbeaten since 2009, Gabutan is facing a taller and experienced Malinga, who is eyeing another shot at the world title since losing to Hozumi Hasegawa in 2009 for the WBC bantamweight crown and to Leo Santa Cruz in June last year for the vacant IBF bantamweight strap.
“Pinaghandaan namin ito. Laban kung laban,” said Gabutan who has been locked up inside the Highland Boxing gym since January this year for a tougher training regimen which consists of at least 100 rounds of sparring.
The youthful Gabutan is being touted as a slight favorite going into the fight with a ring record of 18 wins, one loss and two draws that goes with nine knockouts including his recent second victory against Indonesian Lande Olin last December.
Malinga, who has a record of 20 wins with four loss and one draw, will have to shake off ring rust where his last fight was in June 2012.
“Although lamang sa height yung kalaban, dadaanin naming sa bilis ang laban kasi walang masyadonmg footwork si Malinga,” said trainer Joven Jorda.
Jorda added he has seen a lot of improvement from Gabutan since they both hook up in November 2011.
“Dati-rati walang power yung suntok ni Dayer pero ngayon sa nakikita ko lalong lumaks yung suntok kaya eto yung nakikita kong advantage namin,” added Jorda.
In article from philboxing.com, Malinga will be a home crowd favorite but will not have an easy sailing against the Filipino who has youth on his side and is ranked no. 8 in the IBF but occupies a loftier No. 2 spot in the WBO and is expected to be elevated to the first after Namibian Paulus Ambunda who was No.1 won the title by dethroning Pungluang Sor Singyu last weekend.
Published in the Sun.Star Baguio newspaper on March 13, 2013.