Beneco explains ‘boycotts’-A A +A
Friday, March 15, 2013
A TOP official of the Benguet Electric Cooperative (Beneco) said the company will wait for the May 13 polls to be finished before explaining their side to politicians following recent reports of boycotting the Benguet Provincial Board.
“Appearing either at the (Baguio) City Council or Provincial Board (of Benguet) immediately before (the) start of political campaign period might be exploited by those who are prone to political grandstanding just to gain extra media mileage,” Beneco general manager Gerardo Verzosa said in a text message to Sun.Star Baguio.
He reiterated his stand that if indeed, the allegations of City Councilor Fred Bagbagen are true, Bagbagen should file a case so he could face the accuser in court. This challenge was accepted by Councilor Bagbagen.
In Verzosa’s letter to Baguio City Vice Mayor Daniel Faniñas dated February 26, he said, “We simply feel that Hon. Bagbagen has abused his parliamentary privilege to malign Beneco.”
He said with the acceptance Bagbagen manifested earlier to their challenge, their appearance at the City Council as well as at other legislative body meeting is not necessary anymore as they will just wait for the charges to be filed against them and will answer it in court.
The Beneco’s top official also stated, in his letter, that most of the time when they appeared before the City Council, they were not given enough time to thoroughly explain their side, adding that for the Benguet Board, he is not sure if the members will give them ample time to explain if they will appear before them.
Earlier, Vice Governor Crescen-cio Pacalso expressed his awareness of the alleged unfairness of the City Council in listening to parties involved as claimed by Beneco. He assured the Provincial Board of Benguet will give enough time to Beneco as well as the other party if they will be invited for an explanation.
Bagbagen has revealed the transaction that Beneco entered into with Kalinga Mayor Kenneth Mangaoang has irregularities. He said the fund, which was used to purchase the materials for the town’s electrification project, came from the coffers of Beneco.
Mangaoang had been assuring the fund came from the local government unit’s budget and not from the money of Beneco.
Bagbagen questioned if Verzosa’s act in entering into the transaction was authorized by the board of directors.
He also questioned Mangaoang if the City Council authorized him. He alleged the two officials have no proper authorities bestowed upon them to do the transaction.
Published in the Sun.Star Baguio newspaper on March 16, 2013.