Coding suspended in Trinidad-A A +A
Tuesday, March 19, 2013
LA TRINIDAD, Benguet – Mayor Greg Abalos lifted the number coding scheme for the duration of the Valley festival.
Abalos in an executive order lifted the number coding traffic scheme here to accommodate the influx of visitors trooping to the festival for the duration of the month long celebration.
Abalos said, “For sixteen years and counting, said Festival has effectively solidified and concerted efforts by the farmers, business sector, the people and the Municipal Government to place the Municipality on the map as the Strawberry Capital of the Philippines.”
The Strawberry Festival 2013 formally kicked-off with the grand opening program on March 18, Monday, gathering guests from all over the country.
Abalos said the events during the festival “has generated a yearly increase in tourist arrivals -- both local and foreign.”
Abalos stressed the need to lift the number coding scheme in order to accommodate the tourists and to ease their travels around the Municipality of La Trinidad from March 18 to April 12, 2013.
Weeks ago, Abalos was considering a partial lifting of the coding scheme to accommodate the influx of vistors saying the local lifting of the scheme will be put to naught if the nearby City of Baguio will not lift their own coding scheme.
Baguio Mayor Maurico Domogan, last week likewise suspended the coding scheme in the city to also accommodate the anticipated number of visitors coming for the annual Summer Vacation events, complimenting the Valley’s Strawberry festival.
Published in the Sun.Star Baguio newspaper on March 20, 2013.