Dismantle extensions or face demolition, vendors told-A A +A
By JM Agreda
Tuesday, September 24, 2013
BAGUIO City Mayor Mauricio Domogan gave vendors in the public market until the end of the September to voluntarily dismantle their illegal extensions or face demolition.
Domogan said he cannot simply give in to the request of vendors to give them until January to continue using extensions stressing this runs contrary to his administration's goal of enforcing order in the city market.
The City Government already carried out the removal of illegal stalls of sidewalk vendors since last month especially on the side streets to ensure the smooth flow of traffic for the public and improve income of legitimate stall holders.
The local government relocated several of these vendors in some sections of the market where they can be accommodated.
The city mayor directed the Public Order and Safety Division to strictly enforce his directive and confiscate goods of vendors violating the order.
With all the ground work done, the city mayor revealed the city government is now in the process of negotiating with Uniwide on how to go about with the implementation of the market development plan.
The mayor said it is about time for the developer who won the bid to develop the public market in 1995 to pursue the market development plan or give it up for another public bidding.
The implementation of the contract between Baguio City and Uniwide had been at a standstill for more than a decade. Reports have reached city officials saying the developer is allegedly incapable of undertaking the development of the market due to lack of resources.
But the mayor stressed this information will only be confirmed through a meeting between the city officials and the representatives of Uniwide.
Published in the Sun.Star Baguio newspaper on September 25, 2013.