Baguio sends empathy to quake victims-A A +A
Friday, October 18, 2013
BAGUIO City Mayor Mauricio Domogan last week expressed the city's sympathy with the victims of the major earthquake that struck Bohol, Cebu City and other areas in Visayas and Mindanao.
"Our thoughts and prayers for the people of Bohol, Cebu and other parts of Visayas and Mindanao after being devastated by a 7.2 magnitude earthquake on October 15, 2013," the mayor said in a statement posted in his social media site.
"We know how difficult the situation is as Baguio had the same experience in 1990 when it was struck by a 7.7 magnitude earthquake taking more or less 1,700 lives and leaving hundreds of homeless families and thousands of injured individuals," the mayor recalled.
He said the people of the aggrieved areas can draw inspiration from the city’s experiences in how it rose from devastation.
"Prayers and the collective efforts of the community brought Baguio back on its feet," the mayor said.
In his Ugnayang Panlungsod press briefing last Wednesday, the mayor conveyed anew the city's sympathies and said the City Government will source out funds for financial assistance to the affected areas.
The mayor met with the members of the Local Finance Committee last Thursday to thresh out the available funds.
He said the outcome will be endorsed to the city council for adoption of the necessary resolution possibly during the august body’s regular session on Monday. (Aileen Refuerzo)
Published in the Sun.Star Baguio newspaper on October 19, 2013.